Response 2

Pulped under pressure was a very informative at lecture. I learned a lot about the different styles of paper making which I didn’t know existed. I knew of paper making but I thought there was really only one type of style associated with it. I thought that the artist, Jillian Bruschera, was especially interesting because she makes paper from others waste. I think that it is very extraordinary when someone is able to bring new life to something that most would consider unusable/trash. She likes to place her paper in places that are unconventional so that it will make people stop, look, and really think about it. Jillian also shares her talent with others. She started a project that she calls The Mobile Mill. She goes on the road with a mobile paper making studio and offers free classes to anyone who is willing to learn.

You can take a look at her blog here


New work for the new year. Handmade paper and collage pieces, made on the road; organizing for show at NY Center for Book Arts’ ‘Pulp as Portal’ exhibition in 2017.

This is some work that she shared on her blog that I linked above. You can see how she works to incorporate waste into her art. 

I also liked Marilyn Propp’s work as well. Her work centers around Marine life since she researched it. Marilyn also tries to bring in aspects of the industrial world to emphasize the impact we have on the ocean.
Image result for marilyn proppImage result for marilyn propp  
She seems to gravitate towards turtles to represent marine life in her work. I never thought that paper making could produce work like this. I always assumed that you make paper with little specs in it and call it a day. 


Comments

Popular Posts