Response 1


I was unable to stay for the whole lecture and only heard about some of the history of Cuban photography, but I found the gallery of pictures to be very moving. I felt a different emotion with each picture that I chose to analyze. There were three pictures in particular that I liked, but I forgot to copy down their names so I will do my best to explain them.
The first one i looked at was of three kids playing at what looks to be a sea wall.


 I felt joy when looking at this image because it reminded me of when I was younger and I would play outside in the rain. The photographer took this picture at just the right time, the kids are noticing a giant wave is going to crash down on them and they seem like they couldn't be more excited. Another picture that caught my attention was the image of a couple of what look to be students running through the wet street.

Of course I have no idea who they are or what they’re doing, but I think the photographer managed to capture their motion very well in this image. I feel a sense of urgency when I look at this picture, like the subjects are rushing to get somewhere on time. The third picture I chose to focus on was the picture of two people with their lips on opposite ends of a cigar.

For some reason it creates a sense of intimacy in my mind, maybe because the peoples lips play a big role in this image. To me it’s making a comment about the Cuban cigar industry and how it plays a role in Cuban society. This exhibit was very interesting to me and I felt like i was pulled into a different world, which to me is a sign of great photography.

Comments

Popular Posts